About the Gila River District
Who We Serve
We serve the following Arizona communities:
Ahwatukee, Casa Grande, Chandler, Maricopa, Tempe, South Phoenix, and Yuma.
We Support our Scouting Units with
Our District Committee and Commissioner staff.
We are the southern part of the Grand Canyon Council, one of two BSA Councils serving the state of Arizona.
Here are some words from our District Chairman, Kent Thomas from Chandler.
About the Boy Scouts of America (BSA)
Mission and Vision
Mission: The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.
Vision: The Boy Scouts of America will prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Law.
Scout Oath and Law
On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.
A Scout is:
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.
The Guiding Principles of our District
- “If you’re not first, you’re last” – Ricky Bobby
- “If you ain’t doin’ Rountable, you ain’t doin’ Scouting” – E. Robert Ermy
- If you are not growing, you’re dying
- If you can’t see the water, don’t eat the fish
- Always recruit – never surrender
- If you program it thoughtfully, they will come
- When facing Zombies, always double tap
- Scouting works better with lots of hands and lots of minds
- Everyone contribute their 1 – and only 1 – thing – Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAF5AASdYo
- There is nothing as detrimental as a well-meaning but untrained volunteer
- Don’t wear your socks out in the rain – The Fonz
- “Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell ’em, ‘Certainly I can!’ Then get busy and find out how to do it.” – President Theodore Roosevelt
- We take what we do seriously – preparing youth for life – but we do not take ourselves seriously
- Make a decision – any decision – even if it is wrong – United States Marine Corps