Colorado River Run - October 23 - 25, 2020
What: Enjoy a 15-mile canoe trip paddling down the Colorado River!
Who: Open to all Scouts BSA, Venturing Scouts, Webelos AOL, leaders and parents
When: Friday, October 23 – Sunday, October 25, 2020
Where: West Wetlands Park, Yuma, AZ
Why: For fun and adventure! Come join the adventure of canoeing on the Colorado River and camping on the “beach”. Enjoy fellowship and friendly patrol competitions!
How much and what is included:
Fee: $20 Per Person
- 1 Meal (Saturday lunch)
- Canoe Rentals
- Camping Site
- Restroom facilities
- Patrol Participant Ribbon
- “First Annual” Collectible Patch
- Patrol Photo
What is the schedule?
Units arrive Friday night and set up camp. Saturday morning cook your own breakfast and head on over for basic paddle training, Tenderfoot skills training and a discussion on the 10 Essentials of Canoeing. Then it’s off to an area below Laguna Dam to launch canoes and enjoy a 15-mile float down the Colorado River. Lunch will be provided mid-float. After the float, there will be a service project and then a cooking competition featuring BACON! Saturday Dinner and Sunday breakfast are the responsibility of the unit. Saturday Dinner will include an element of competition with judging. The schedule and details are in the Leader Packet.
Although Webelos AOL will not go on the River Run, they will have a special day filled with fun activities including Frisbee golf, fishing and paddling. Please refer to the Leader Packet for more information
What prep is needed?
Only a couple of the Canoe Merit Badge requirements are covered here. The goal is to have a fun canoe experience. Most Scouts can participate with a little training that we will provide. Prior Canoe experience for Scouts is not required.
- This is a fun paddle trip. Scouts do not need to be classified as “swimmers”. PFDs must be worn at all times on the water.
2. Unitsmust have at least one Safety Afloat and Safe Swim Defense trained leader (training at my.scouting.org)
3. Units must have a CPR trained leader. (Contact Roy Hollis for Training Options.)
Units do not need to provide any canoe equipment or PFD’s but they should be prepared to be able to:
- Load basic Patrol equipment in the canoe in a water-proof method and tie it down properly for a day trip down the river.
- Scouts need to dress appropriately for the river trip. Refer to the Leader Packet for information on proper dress.
What are the Competitions?
Canoeing Essentials, Leave No Trace and Cooking! Patrols will gain points towards winning the grand prize!
- Each scout needs to bring the 10 Essentials for Canoeing. They will be checked for this in the Contest before launching.
- Each campsite will be inspected for compliance with Leave No Trace guidelines.
- Patrols will make an entree, side dish, and dessert at Saturday dinner. Each dish will use the “secret ingredient”- BACON. Each patrol should make enough for themselves and three judges. Don’t forget the BACON!
What about COVID-19 and safety protocol?
Each adult and a Parent/Guardian for each Scout must sign the COVID-19 Warning and Waiver and bring it to Check-in. Details are in the Leader Packet.
Where do we register for this great weekend of fun?
Visit the Grand Canyon Council registration link. https://scoutingevent.com/010-2020GRriverrun. The Leader Packet and other forms will be available on the registration site.